Terms Of the License: The license holder shall agree to abide by the following terms for carrying a concealed weapon. Failure to do so shall result in the immediate suspension of the CCW license.
- The license will not be valid outside the state of California. However, some states will recognize a California CCW or do not require a CCW. You must check with the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the area(s) you intend to travel to determine if a CCW is necessary.
- The license will be subject to any and all reasonable restrictions or conditions the Sheriff has deemed warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner and circumstances under which the person may carry the concealed firearm.
(A) All such restrictions or conditions shall be conspicuously noted on any license issued (Penal Code § 12050(c)).
(B) The licensee will be required to sign a Restrictions and Conditions Agreement. Any violation of any of the restrictions and conditions may result in the immediate revocation of the license.
- The license shall bear the expiration date, type of weapon, restrictions and other pertinent information clearly visible.
(A) Each license shall be numbered and clearly identify the licensee.
(B) All licenses shall be subjected to inspection by the Sheriff or any law enforcement officer.
- The license will be valid for a period not to exceed two years from the date of issuance.
(A) A license issued to state or federal magistrate, commissioner or judge will be valid for a period not to exceed three years.
(B) A license issued to any reserve peace officer as defined in Penal Code §830.6(a) or (b), or a custodial officer employed by the Sheriff as provided in Penal Code § 831.5 will be valid for a period not to exceed four years, except that such license shall be invalid upon the individual’s conclusion of service as a reserve or custodial officer.
- The licensee shall notify this department in writing within ten days of any change of place of residency. If the licensee moves out of the county of issuance, the license shall expire ninety (90) days after the licensee has moved.
License Restrictions: The Sheriff may place special restrictions limiting time, place and circumstances under which any license shall be valid. In general, these restrictions will prohibit the licensee from any of the following:
- Consuming any alcoholic beverage while armed
- Falsely representing him or herself as a peace officer
- Unjustified or unreasonable displaying of a weapon
- Commission of any crime
- Being under the influence of any medication or drug while armed
- Interfering with any law enforcement officer’s duties
- Refusing to display his/her license or weapon for inspection upon demand of any peace officer
- Carrying a firearm on any school grounds, within any court house or court room, at the State Capitol or on any State Capitol grounds, in the secure area of an airport and any polling location.
The Sheriff reserves the right to inspect any license or licensed weapon at any time.